The history of technical higher education in Cluj-Napoca goes back to the beginning of the previous century. The unification of the Romanian provinces into a single state, on December 1st 1918, opened new perspectives for education. On February 1st 1920, the Industrial College was founded in Cluj-Napoca. The new education institution passed afterwards through a series of transformations, becoming the College for Technical Conductors, in 1922. It was the only college with a major in electrical engineering in the country and the forerunner of the Cluj Polytechnic Institute. Another technical college founded in 1920 was The College for Conductors of Public Works, specializing in roads and bridges, the forerunner of The Faculty of Civil Engineering. In 1937, the College for Technical Conductors, which had an excellent reputation within Romanian industry, was reorganized as The Electromechanical College.
Following a petition addressed to the Ministry of National Education regarding the foundation of a Polytechnic Institute with three faculties (Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Forestry) in Cluj-Napoca, under the provisions of the August 1948 law for the reform of education, The Mechanical Engineering Institute was established as a faculty with two departments: Thermotechnics and Machines. The increasing need of technical specialists helped the Mechanical Engineering Institute turn into the Cluj Polytechnic Institute in 1953
After the 1989 Revolution, Romanian higher education came back to the former academic tradition of the Western system. In 1992, the Polytechnic Institute was renamed as The Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, and the three existing faculties at that time were restructured into seven faculties: Automation and Computer Science, Electronics and Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Machine Building, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science and Engineering, as well as the Technical, Business and Administration College. Starting with the academic year 1998-1999 The Technical University was completed with The Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning. In 2007, The Faculty of Building Services was established. Since 2012, The Technical University of Cluj-Napoca and The North University of Baia-Mare (named hereinafter The North University Centre of Baia-Mare) joined together so that the university has now 12 faculties. The Faculties belonging to the Baia Mare branch are: The Faculty of Engineering, The Faculty of Humanities, The Faculty of Mineral Resources and Environment, and The Faculty of Sciences.
Nowadays, the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca trains over 20,000 future specialists in various fields through Bachelor, Master, Ph.D., and postgraduate educational programmes.
Scientific research has been an essential preoccupation of the academic and research staff of the TUCN. The scientific potential of the University enabled it to organize a series of outstanding scientific events attended by a large number of Romanian and foreign specialists.
The observance of the European standards can be seen in the evolution of international contracts and agreements as well as in the wide range of projects in education and research the university is a part of. A series of international conventions, agreements and protocols were signed with universities from Europe, Asia and America. Since 2003 TUCN has been a member of the European Association of Universities (EUA) and since 2007 it has been a member of L'Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF).
The results in teaching, research, academic management and international cooperation and in improving quality in higher education according to European standards have been appreciated by the Romanian Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ARACIS), which awarded the university "The High Level of Confidence" in 2007.
Nowadays the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca is a modern tertiary education institution, passing through a period of genuine rebirth and confirming authentic capabilities for scientific and cultural creation as an "Advanced Research and Education University" among the 12 universities of this level in Romania which were awarded this degree by the Order of the Ministry of National Education no. 5262/September 5th 2011 regarding the ranking of the accredited universities in the national education system.